Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Sumner Brothers

Well, I’m back from my vacation in the great Maine woods. Nothing better than camping with a bunch of suburbians, with their little toy dogs, accusing my dog of trying to eat theirs for lunch. I should have let it happen.

Anyway,now that I’m back home, it’s time to grab a beer, kick back, and listen to The Sumner Brothers. These guys from British Columbia have really grabbed that gritty, hardworking man feel reminiscent of the REAL country guys (i.e. Cash, Waylon). The perfect music to just throw on some headphones and just wonder off to. A real vacation.

My personal favorite: Both Back



I recently had the chance to ask Brian, one half of The Sumner Brothers, a few questions:

1. How Were The Sumner Brothers Formed

- well……we’re brothers……..so I guess it was kinda bound to happen….we’re not too far apart in age…..so we do a lot of things together …a lot of the same friends etc….so why not a band…….I think our writing might have matured around the same time… …we both reached a point where we had written literally hundreds of songs and we’re getting to where we felt like we could express ourselves…that was about 3 and half years ago and that’s when we decided to put the group together.

2. How Would You Describe Your Sound

- my brother likes indie-roots and I like alt-country……but I don’t know …if you come to our live show you’ll hear one thing….and if you listen to the album you’ll hear another…..the album is folk–roots–blues …we recorded that live in a cabin on Galiano island …we were out in the woods for 2 weeks with a keg of beer, our gear and a pro-tools rig……so it has that sound …for sure………at our live show, on the other hand, we’re playing stuff that’s not even going on the next record….but the one after that….and it’s different …a little harder to put your finger on………my brother and I can’t hardly sing though …so I imagine everything we do sounds a little folky.

3. Who Are Your Main Influences

- Johnny Cash for his truthfulness, Willie Nelson for his guitar playing, Toots and The Maytals and The Who for what a band could sound like, Darcy Lougheed and Phil Saylor Wisor for their conviction, The Streets for their wit, Hank Williams for his humor, John Coltrane for his power and Kurt Cobain for his song writing,

4. What Music Are You Listening To Now

- we got a new band in town here now called The Star Captains…..bunch of buddies in that one…they’re brand new and real ^&*$&^% good……they do like a 70s hype – heavy – dance thing ….it’s exhausting telling people you like their music when you don’t …usually I just say nothing….keep my mouth shut……that’s why it was such a breath of fresh air when Jimbo (The Star Captains guitar player) showed me this E.P. they had put together with the same producer that recorded our album (Derek Defilippo) and I liked it…..really liked it....finally I could tell someone that and mean it……......other than that I’ve been listening to the Frida sound track a whole bunch ….and I know my brother has been listening to a ton of our fellow Canadian …Chad Van Gaalen

5. What Was Your Best Show So Far

- our Christmas show……..we do it every year and next year’s will be the fourth annual….they’re crazy….we get about 150 people out…..it’s loud …..people are dressed up….we got a giant inflatable snowmen…….we do a deal where you get a Sumner Brothers shot glass, a shot of whisky and your picture taken with Santa Clause for 5 bucks….the whole thing is pretty fast-paced and intense…..and I love Christmas so that would have to be it.

6. What Does The World Need To Know About The Sumner Brothers

- that this is what we do……write songs ..play shows and sell records…..we don’t have day jobs …we don’t have a college degrees ……we don’t have a trade…..we’re not going to disappear ….there’s no back up plan…no safety net…………..if you like the music …you need to buy the album….then we’ll take that money and make another album….and so on and so forth……and in each and every case I can guarantee we love our supporters and fans more than they love us

No comments:

Post a Comment